Breast and Surgical Oncology is very committed to cancer research. It is conducting a number of its own original research projects and is also involved in recruiting to Australian and International clinical trials in melanoma and breast cancer. The clinicians have authored many research papers in international scientific journals and they are regularly invited to present their work at medical conferences. They are also involved in ongoing self-audit of their clinical results to ensure a continuing high standard of care.
Our research team includes Dr Kathy Flitcroft, Clinical Trials Manager. She coordinates the Research program at Breast and Surgical Oncology. Kathy has a PhD in Public Health/Health Policy and she is currently developing her own projects in the area of policy relating to breast reconstruction.
Current research projects
- Improving access to breast reconstruction in Australia
- Breast reconstruction: immediate breast reconstruction and radiotherapy
- Survivorship care planning in breast cancer
- Developing and evaluating new surgical techniques for melanoma and breast cancer surgery
Our Specialists are all involved in research projects in addition to their clinical practice. Our researchers have authored over 100 peer-reviewed publications in local and international journals.
Supervision for researchers
Supervision is available for researchers of all levels wanting to undertake a project. This includes:
- Honours projects for medical students
- Fellows and junior doctors undertaking research
- Masters and PhD projects for post-graduate research degree candidates
For enquires about research
- Contact us by telephone on (02) 9911 7250