- Oh DD, Flitcroft K, Brennan ME, Snook K, Spillane AJ. Outcomes of breast reconstruction in older women: Patterns of uptake and clinical outcomes in a large metropolitan practice. (under review)
- Zdenkowski N, Butow P, Spillane A, Douglas C, Snook K, Jones M, Oldmeadow C, Fewster S, Beckmore C, Boyle FM. A single-arm longitudinal study to evaluate a decision aid for women who have been offered neoadjuvant systemic therapy for operable breast cancer (ANZ1301 DOMINO). JNCCN (JNCCN17-181R1) – [EMID:16174555270d4339] Accepted Nov 2017.
- Azimi F, Flitcroft K, Mathieu E, Karantonis R, Snook K, Spillane A. Low level laser treatment is ineffective for capsular contracture. Results of the LaTCon randomised controlled trial. [Accepted December 2017, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery].
- Solinas A, Mahar A, Cooper WA, Thompson JF, Spillane AJ, Scolyer RA. Pigmented Paget’s disease of the nipple mistaken for melanoma in situ: a diagnostic pitfall for the unwary. Pathology 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pathol.2017.09.018.
- Flitcroft K, Brennan M, Costa D, Spillane A. Regional variation in immediate breast reconstruction rates in Australia. BJS Open, 2017. 1: 114–121. DOI: 10.1002/bjs5.19
- King MT, Winters Z,, Olivotto I, Spillane A, Chua B, Saunders C, Westenberg AH, Mann GB, Burnett P, Butow P, Rutherford C. Patient-reported outcomes in ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS): A systematic review. Euro J Cancer, 2017;71: 95-108.
- Spillane AJ, Mann GB. Surgeon knows best versus breast cancer surgical clinical trial equipoise: A plea for the sake of future trials. ANZ J Surg 2017; 87 (3):11-12. DOI: 10.1111/ans.13831 [Perspective]
- Mercieca-Bebber R, King MT, Boxer MM, Spillane A, Winters ZE, Butow P, McPherson J, Rutherford C. What quality of life issues do women with ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) consider important when making treatment decisions? Breast Cancer 2017;24:720–9.
- Brennan ME. Breast cancer in ethnic minority groups in developed nations: Case studies of the United Kingdom and Australia. Maturitas 2017;99:16-19.
- Lawler S, Maher G, Brennan M, Goode A, Reeves MM, Eakin E. Get Healthy after Breast Cancer – Examining the feasibility, acceptability and outcomes of referring breast cancer survivors to a general population telephone-delivered program targeting physical activity, healthy diet and weight loss. Supportive Care in Cancer (published online).
- Brennan ME, McKessar M, Snook K, Burgess I, Spillane AJ. Impact of selective use of breast MRI on surgical decision-making in women with newly diagnosed operable breast cancer. The Breast 2017;32:135-43. Abstract
- Flitcroft K, Brennan M, Spillane A. Making decisions about breast reconstruction: A systematic review of patient-reported factors influencing choice. Qual Life Res. 2017 Sep;26(9):2287-2319.
- Flitcroft K, Brennan M, Spillane A. Women’s expectations of breast reconstruction following mastectomy for breast cancer. A systematic review. Support Care Cancer. 2017 Aug;25(8):2631-2661.
- Spillane A. What is new in the surgical management and prevention of breast cancer? Med J Aust 2016;204(8): 311-314.
- Lippey J, Spillane AJ, Saunders C. Not all ductal carcinoma in situ is created equal: can we avoid surgery for low-risk ductal carcinoma in situ? ANZ J Surg 2016; 86(11): 859-860.
- Sherman KA, Shaw LK, Winch CJ, Harcourt D, Boyages J, Cameron LD, Brown P, Lam T, Elder E, French J, Spillane AJ. Reducing Decisional Conflict and Enhancing Satisfaction with Information among Women Considering Breast Reconstruction following Mastectomy: Results from the BRECONDA Randomized Controlled Trial. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016 Oct;138(4):592e-602e.
- Brennan ME, Flitcroft K, Warrier S, Snook K, Spillane AJ. Immediate expander/implant breast reconstruction followed by post-mastectomy radiotherapy for breast cancer: Aesthetic, surgical, satisfaction and quality of life outcomes in women with high-risk breast cancer. The Breast 2016;30:59–65.
- Flitcroft K, Brennan M, Costa D, Spillane A. Documenting patterns of access to breast reconstruction in Australia: The National Picture. The Breast 2016;30:47-5.
- Flitcroft K, Brennan M, Costa D, Wong A, Snook K and Spillane A. An evaluation of factors affecting preference for immediate, delayed or no breast reconstruction in women with high-risk breast cancer. Psycho-oncology 2016; 25(12):1463-1469.
- Brennan ME, Houssami N. Discussing the benefits and harms of screening mammography. Maturitas. 2016;92:150-153. Abstract
- Brennan ME. The role of clinical breast examination in cancer screening for women at average risk: A mini review. Maturitas 2016;92:61-63. Abstract
- Flitcroft K, Brennan M, Spillane A. The difficulties of sourcing Australian health data: The case of breast reconstruction. ANZ Journal of Surgery, 2016 Jul;86(7-8):537-9.
- Oh DD, Flitcroft K, Brennan ME, Spillane AJ. Patterns and outcomes of breast reconstruction in older women – a systematic review of the literature. EJSO 2016;42(5):604-615.
- The Cancer Genome Atlas Network. Genomic Classification of Cutaneous Melanoma. Cell 2015;161:1681-1696. Free full text
- Haydu LE, Stollman JT, Scolyer RA, Spillane AJ, Quinn MJ, Saw RPM, Shannon KF, Stretch JR, Bonenkamp JJ, and Thompson JF. Minimum Safe Pathologic Excision Margins for Primary Cutaneous Melanomas (1–2 mm in Thickness): Analysis of 2131 Patients Treated at a Single Center. Ann Surg Oncol 2015; DOI 10.1245/s10434-015-4575-3 Abstract
- Spillane AJ. Localising non-palpable breast lesions – the subtleties of selecting the right method. Type: Editorial. ANZ J Surg. 2015 Accepted 17032015.
- Spillane AJ, Read R, Thompson JF. Sentinel node biopsy should be standard of care for intermediate and thick melanomas. Australian Family Physician 2015 Accepted Feb 4.
- Brennan ME, Boyle FM, Butow PN, Spillane AJ. Evaluation of a survivorship care plan: Long-term use, care coordination and quality of life in breast cancer survivors. Breast Cancer Management. 2015;4(3):145-157. Abstract
- Wortley S, Flitcroft K, Howard, K. The role of preference information in health technology assessment decision-making. Int J Tech Assess Health Care 2015;31(4):241-248.
- Read R, Flitcroft K, Snook K, Boyle F, Spillane A. The utility of neoadjuvant chemotherapy in the treatment of operable breast cancer. ANZ Journal of Surgery. 2015;85(5):315-20. Abstract
- Read RL, Haydu L, Saw RP, Quinn MJ, Shannon K, Spillane AJ, Stretch JR, Scolyer RA, Thompson JF. In-transit Melanoma Metastases: Incidence, Prognosis, and the Role of Lymphadenectomy. Ann Surg Oncol 2015;22(2):475-81. Abstract
- Brennan ME, Butow P, Spillane AJ, Boyle FM. Survivorship care plans in breast cancer: systematic review. Br J Cancer 2014;111(10):1899-908. Abstract
- Brennan ME, Spillane A, Flitcroft K, Snook K, Wong A. Platinum multidisciplinary breast cancer care or platinum breast reconstruction? ANZJS 2014;84(9):604-605.
- van der Ploeg AP, Haydu LE, Spillane AJ, Scolyer RA, Quinn MJ, Saw RP, Shannon KF, Stretch JR, Thompson JF. Melanoma Patients with an Unknown Primary Tumor Site Have a Better Outcome than Those with a Known Primary Following Therapeutic Lymph Node Dissection for Macroscopic (Clinically Palpable) Nodal Disease. Ann Surg Oncol. 2014 May 7. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jefford M, Mann GB, Nolte L, Russell L, Brennan M. Follow up of women with early stage breast cancer. Current Breast Cancer Reports, June 2014. Abstract
- Wilsher MJ, Snook K. Bilateral, multicentric low-grade adenosquamous carcinomas of the breast, each arising within a separate radial scar/complex sclerosing lesion. Pathology 2014; 46(1):85-8. Journal
- Wong A, Snook K, Brennan M, Flitcroft K, Tucker M, Hiercz D, Spillane A. Increasing breast reconstruction rates by offering more women a choice. ANZ Journal of Surgery 2014; 84: 31–36. Abstract
- Spillane AJ, Pasquali S, Haydu LE, Thompson JF. Patterns of recurrence and survival after lymphadenectomy in melanoma patients: clarifying the effects of timing of surgery and lymph node tumor burden. Ann Surg Oncol. 2014 Jan;21(1):292-9. Abstract
- Chong C, Walters D, de Silva P, Taylor C, Spillane A, Kollias J, Pyke C, Campbell I, Maddern G.Initial axillary surgery: results from the BreastSurgANZ Quality Audit. ANZ J Surg. 2013 Nov 20. doi: 10.1111/ans.12455. [Epub ahead of print] Abstract
- Wong A, Spillane A. Breast Surgeons of Australia and New Zealand Incorporated (BreastSurgANZ). Patent Blue V dye anaphylaxis: experience of Australian and New Zealand surgeons. ANZ J Surg. 2014 Jan-Feb;84(1-2):37-41. Abstract
- Flitcroft KL, Spillane AJ, Read RL. Lack of appropriate imaging before breast augmentation can have serious patient consequences. Med J Aust. 2014 Mar 3;200(4):198-9. Journal
- Flitcroft KL, Gillespie JA, Carter SM, Salkeld GP, Trevena LJ. Incorporating evidence and politics in health policy: Can institutionalising evidence review make a difference? [Debate article] Evidence & Policy [in press]
- van der Ploeg APT, Haydu LE, Spillane AJ, Quinn MJ, Saw RPM, Shannon KF, Stretch JR, Scolyer RA, Thompson JF. Outcome following sentinel node biopsy plus wide local excision versus wide local excision only for primary cutaneous melanoma: analysis of 5840 patients treated at a single institution. Ann Surg. 2014;260(1):149-57. Abstract
- Read RL, Bambach CP, Snook KL. A rotation flap restores volume after inferomedial breast cancer excision. ANZ J Surg 2013; 83 (7-8): 595-6.
- Spillane A, Brennan M. Comparison of the sentinel node procedure between patients with multifocal and unifocal breast cancer in the EORTC 10981-22023 AMAROS Trial: Identification rate and nodal outcome. Breast diseases (1043-321X), 24 (4), p. 366. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly, Vol 24 issue 4, 2013 p366-368. Journal
- Noushi F, Spillane AJ, Uren RF, Cooper R, Allwright S, Snook KL, Gillet D, Pearce AM, Gebski V. High discordance rates between sub-areolar and peri-tumoural breast lymphoscintigraphy. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2013 Oct;39(10):1053-60. Abstract
- Brennan ME, Spillane AJ. Uptake and predictors of post-mastectomy reconstruction in women with breast malignancy–systematic review. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2013 Jun;39(6):527-41. Abstract
- Chong C, Walters D, de Silva P, Taylor C, Spillane A, Kollias J, Pyke C, Campbell I, Maddern G. Subsequent axillary surgery after sentinel lymph node biopsy: results from the BreastSurgANZ Quality Audit 2006-2010. Breast. 2013 Dec;22(6):1215-9. Abstract
- Spillane A. Training breast surgeons in Australia and New Zealand. ANZ J Surg. 2013 Sep;83(9):597-8. [No Abstract] Journal
- Spillane A. Why the results of the American College of Surgeons Oncology Group Z0011 Trial are so important. ANZ J Surg. 2013 Dec;83(12):893 [No abstract available] Journal
- Pasquali S, Haydu LE, Scolyer RA, Winstanley JB, Spillane AJ, Quinn MJ, Saw RP, Shannon KF, Stretch JR, Thompson JF. The importance of adequate primary tumor excision margins and sentinel node biopsy in achieving optimal locoregional control for patients with thick primary melanomas. Ann Surg. 2013 Jul;258(1):152-7. Abstract
- Soon PS, Kim E, Pon CK, Gill AJ, Moore K, Spillane AJ, Benn DE, Baxter RC. Breast cancer-associated fibroblasts induce epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in breast cancer cells. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2013 Jan 7;20(1):1-12. Abstract
- Brennan M, Houssami N. Thermography in breast cancer diagnosis, screening, and risk assessment: Systematic review. Breast Cancer Management 2013; 2(2):163-172. Abstract Summary article on our website
- Flitcroft KL, Gillespie JA, Carter SM, Salkeld GP, Trevena LJ. Incorporating evidence and politics in health policy: Can institutionalising evidence review make a difference? Evidence & Policy: 29 November 2013. Abstract
- Cusack L, Brennan M, Baber R, Boyle F. Menopausal symptoms in breast cancer survivors: Management update. British Journal of General Practice 2013;63(606):51-52. Free full text pdf
- Marinovich ML, Macaskill P, Irwig L,Sardanelli F, von Minckwitz G, Mamounas EP, Brennan ME, Ciatto S, Houssami N. Meta-analysis of agreement between MRI and pathologic breast tumour size after neoadjuvant chemotherapy. BJC 109: 1528–1536. Abstract
- Marinovich ML, Houssami N, Macaskill P, Sardanelli F, Irwig L, Mamounas EP, von Minckwitz G, Brennan ME, Ciatto S. Meta-analysis of Magnetic Resonance imaging in Detecting Residual Breast Cancer After Neoadjuvant Therapy. J Natl Cancer Inst 2013 105(5):321-33. Abstract