Prof Andrew Spillane MD FRACS
Prof Andrew Spillane
Surgical management of breast cancer, melanoma and soft tissue tumours such as sarcoma. Includes sentinel lymph node biopsy, regional lymph node dissection, breast reconstruction and oncoplastic breast surgery procedures. Consults at North Sydney.
Hospital appointments (regular operating lists):
The Mater and Royal North Shore Hospitals.
Andrew Spillane is Professor of Surgical Oncology at The University of Sydney, Northern Clinical School. He specialises in the surgical management of breast cancer and melanoma. Andrew is a senior VMO surgeon at the Mater North Sydney, Royal North Shore Hospital and North Shore Private Hospitals.
Andrew is immediate past President of Breast Surgeons of Australia and New Zealand Inc. (BreastSurgANZ), a member of the Breast Cancer Trials (formerly ANZBCTG) Scientific Advisory Committee and BCT breast surgery Craft Group Lead, a board member and Deputy Chair of the Executive of Melanoma and Skin Cancer (MASC) Trials Group (formerly the ANZMTG). He is a member of the BCNA Medical Advisory Committee. Andrew is Breast sub-editor for the ANZ Journal of Surgery, an editorial board member of Annals of Surgical Oncology and the Journal of Surgical Oncology and founding co-director of the University of Sydney’s Graduate Certificate in Breast Surgery. Andrew’s current research interests investigate issues around quality assurance in surgery, safe introduction of new surgical techniques and promoting clinical trial involvement by surgeons. He is involved in clinical and translational research on aspects of breast cancer and melanoma. He has been an author on about 140 peer reviewed publications and co-authored 4 book chapters. He lectures and teaches students at the University of Sydney’s, Northern Clinical School.
- Jenny H Lee1,2, Robyn PM Saw2,3,4, John F Thompson2,3,4, Serigne Lo2,4, Andrew J Spillane2,5, Kerwin F Shannon2,6, Jonathan Stretch2, Julie Howle7, Alexander M Menzies2,4,5, Matteo S Carlino2,4,7, Richard F Kefford1,2,7, Georgina V Long2,4,5, Richard A Scolyer2,4,8, Helen Rizos 1,2Pre-operative ctDNA predicts survival in high risk stage III cutaneous melanoma patients. Ann Oncol 2019 Accepted Feb 12.
- Oh D, Flitcroft K, Brennan ME, Snook KL, Spillane AJ. Outcomes of breast reconstruction in older women: Patterns of uptake and clinical outcomes in a large metropolitan practice. ANZ J Surg 2019 Accepted Feb 12.
- Gelareh Farshid, Michael Bilous, Adrienne Morey, Stephen Fox, Sunil Lakhani, Sherene Loi, Richard Bell, Andrew Spillane . ASCO CAP 2018 HER2 Testing Guidelines: Summary of Pertinent Recommendations for Practice in Australia Pathology 2019 Accepted 03022019
- Spillane AJ, Hong A, Fogarty G. Re-examining the role of adjuvant radiation therapy," (MEL-2018-1080.R1) Journal of Surgical Oncology Accepted for publication Nov 2018
- Brennan ME, Spillane AJ. Breast symptoms in adolescents and young adults presenting to a specialist breast clinic. The Australian Journal of General Practice Accepted Nov 2018
- Erica B. Friedman, Tristan J. Dodds, Serigne Lo, Peter M.Ferguson, Matthew Beck, Robyn P.M. Saw, Jonathan R. Stretch, Kenneth J. Lee, Omgo E. Nieweg, Andrew J. Spillane, Richard A. Scolyer, John F.Thompson. Correlation Between Surgical and Histologic Margins in Melanoma Wide Excision Specimens. Ann Surg Oncol 2018 Accepted Sept
- James S. Wilmott1,9,11*§, Peter A. Johansson2*, Felicity Newell2*, Nicola Waddell2,3, Peter Ferguson1,4,9,11, Camelia Quek1,9,11, Katia Nones2, Ann-Marie Patch2, Ping Shang1,9,11, Antonia L. Pritchard2,5, Stephen Kazakoff 2,3, Oliver Holmes2,3, Conrad Leonard2,3, Scott Wood2,3, Robyn P. M. Saw1,4, Andrew J. Spillane1,9, Jonathan R. Stretch1,9, Kerwin F. Shannon1,4, 9, 11 , Richard F. Kefford1,6, Georgina V. Long1,9,11, John F. Thompson1,4,9,11, John V. Pearson2,3#, Graham J. Mann1,8#, Nicholas K. Hayward1,2#, Richard A. Scolyer1,4,9,11#.Whole genome sequencing of melanomas in adolescent and young adults reveals distinct mutation landscapes and the potential role of germline variants in disease susceptibility. Int J Cancer. 2018 Sep 4. doi: 10.1002/ijc.31791. [Epub ahead of print]
- M. T. Tetzlaff1,2,*, J. L. Messina3, J. E. Stein4, X. Xu5, R. N. Amaria6, C. Blank7, B. Van De Wiel7, P. M. Ferguson8, R. V. Rwson8, M. I. Ross9, A. J. Spillane10, J. E. Gershenwald9,11, R.P.M. Saw8, T. Mitchell12, A. M. Menzies10, G. V. Long10, J. A. Wargo9,13, M. A. Davies2,6,14, V. G. Prieto1,15, J. M. Taube4,& and R. A. Scolyer8,& Pathological assessment of resection specimens after neoadjuvant therapy for metastatic melanoma. Ann Oncol 2018 Accepted June 14
- Marc Moncrieff1*, David Gyorki2*, Robyn Saw3, Andrew Spillane3, Howard Peach4, Deemesh Oudit5, Jenny Geh6, Peter Dziewulski7, Ewan Wilson8, Paolo Matteucci9, Rowan Prtichard-Jones10, Roger Olofsson Bagge11, Frances Wright12, Nic Crampton13, Oliver Cassell14, Navid Jallali15, Adam Berger16, John Kelly17, Stephen Hamilton18, Amer Durrani19, Serigne Lo20, Elizabeth Paton20, Michael Henderson2. 1cm versus 2cm excision margins for pT2-pT4 primary cutaneous melanoma (MelMarT): A feasibility study. Ann Surg Oncol 2018 Accepted March https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-018-6470-1
- AJ SPILLANE, M McKESSAR. Infiltrating lobular cancer missed on screening mammography. Medicine Today 2018 Accepted.
- Azimi F, Flitcroft K, Mathieu E, Karantonis R, Snook K, Spillane A. Low level laser treatment is ineffective for capsular contracture. Results of the LaTCon randomised controlled trial. [Accepted December 2017, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery].
- Oh DD, Flitcroft K, Brennan ME, Snook K, Spillane AJ.Outcomes of breast reconstruction in older women: Patterns of uptake and clinical outcomes in a large metropolitan practice. (under review)
- Zdenkowski N, Butow P, Spillane A, Douglas C, Snook K, Jones M, Oldmeadow C, Fewster S, Beckmore C, Boyle FM. A single-arm longitudinal study to evaluate a decision aid for women who have been offered neoadjuvant systemic therapy for operable breast cancer (ANZ1301 DOMINO). JNCCN (JNCCN17-181R1) – [EMID:16174555270d4339] Accepted Nov 2017.
- Solinas A, Mahar A, Cooper WA, Thompson JF, Spillane AJ, Scolyer RA. Pigmented Paget’s disease of the nipple mistaken for melanoma in situ: a diagnostic pitfall for the unwary. Pathology 2018.
- Flitcroft KL, Brennan ME, Spillane AJ. Decisional regret and choice of breast reconstruction following mastectomy for breast cancer: A systematic review" Psycho-Oncology 2017 Nov 16. doi: 10.1002/pon.4585. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
- Flitcroft K, Brennan M, Costa D, Spillane A. Regional variation in immediate breast reconstruction rates in Australia. BJS Open, 2017. 1: 114–121. DOI: 10.1002/bjs5.19
- King MT, Winters Z,, Olivotto I, Spillane A, Chua B, Saunders C, Westenberg AH, Mann GB, Burnett P, Butow P, Rutherford C. Patient-reported outcomes in ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS): A systematic review. Euro J Cancer, 2017;71: 95-108.
- Spillane AJ, Mann GB. Surgeon knows best versus breast cancer surgical clinical trial equipoise: A plea for the sake of future trials. ANZ J Surg 2017; 87 (3):11-12. DOI: 10.1111/ans.13831 [Perspective]
- Mercieca-Bebber R, King MT, Boxer MM, Spillane A, Winters ZE, Butow P, McPherson J, Rutherford C. What quality of life issues do women with ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) consider important when making treatment decisions? Breast Cancer 2017;24:720–9.
- Brennan ME, McKessar M, Snook K, Burgess I, Spillane AJ. Impact of selective use of breast MRI on surgical decision-making in women with newly diagnosed operable breast cancer. The Breast 2017;32:135-43. Abstract
- Flitcroft K, Brennan M, Spillane A. Making decisions about breast reconstruction: A systematic review of patient-reported factors influencing choice. Qual Life Res. 2017 Sep;26(9):2287-2319.
- Flitcroft K, Brennan M, Spillane A. Women’s expectations of breast reconstruction following mastectomy for breast cancer. A systematic review. Support Care Cancer. 2017 Aug;25(8):2631-2661.
- Spillane A. What is new in the surgical management and prevention of breast cancer? Med J Aust 2016;204(8): 311-314.
- J Lippey, Spillane AJ, C Saunders. Not all ductal carcinoma in situ is created equal: can we avoid surgery for low-risk ductal carcinoma in situ? ANZ J Surg 2016; 86(11): 859-860.
- Sherman KA, Shaw LK, Winch CJ, Harcourt D, Boyages J, Cameron LD, Brown P, Lam T, Elder E, French J, Spillane AJ. Reducing Decisional Conflict and Enhancing Satisfaction with Information among Women Considering Breast Reconstruction following Mastectomy: Results from the BRECONDA Randomized Controlled Trial. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016 Oct;138(4):592e-602e.
- Brennan ME, Flitcroft K, Warrier S, Snook K, Spillane AJ. Immediate expander/implant breast reconstruction followed by post-mastectomy radiotherapy for breast cancer: Aesthetic, surgical, satisfaction and quality of life outcomes in women with high-risk breast cancer. The Breast 2016;30:59–65.
- Flitcroft K, Brennan M, Costa D, Spillane A. Documenting patterns of access to breast reconstruction in Australia: The National Picture. The Breast 2016; 30: 47-53.
- Flitcroft K, Brennan M, Costa D, Wong A, Snook K and Spillane A. An evaluation of factors affecting preference for immediate, delayed or no breast reconstruction in women with high-risk breast cancer. Psycho-oncology 2016; 25(12):1463-
- Flitcroft K, Brennan M, Spillane A. The difficulties of sourcing Australian health data: The case of breast reconstruction. ANZ Journal of Surgery, 2016 Jul;86(7-8):537-9.
- Oh DD, Flitcroft K, Brennan ME, Spillane AJ. Patterns and outcomes of breast reconstruction in older women – a systematic review of the literature. EJSO 2016;42(5):604-615.
- Brennan ME, Butow P, Spillane AJ, Boyle FM. Patient reported quality of life, unmet needs and care coordination outcomes— moving towards targeted breast cancer survivorship care planning. APJCO 2016 Jun;12(2):e323-31.
- Haydu LE, Stollman JT, Scolyer RA, Spillane AJ, Quinn MJ, Saw RPM, Shannon KF, Stretch JR, Bonenkamp JJ, and Thompson JF. Minimum Safe Pathologic Excision Margins for Primary Cutaneous Melanomas (1–2 mm in Thickness): Analysis of 2131 Patients Treated at a Single Center. Ann Surg Oncol 2015; DOI 10.1245/s10434-015-4575-3 Abstract
- Spillane AJ. Localising non-palpable breast lesions – the subtleties of selecting the right method. ANZ J Surg 2015;85:497-8.
- Spillane AJ, Read R, Thompson JF. Sentinel node biopsy should be standard of care for intermediate and thick melanomas. Australian Family Physician 2015 Accepted Feb 4.
- S Cancer Genome Atlas Network.S Genomic Classification of Cutaneous Melanoma. Cell 2015;161:1681-1696.
- Brennan ME, Boyle FM, Butow PN, Spillane AJ. Evaluation of a survivorship care plan: Long-term use, care coordination and quality of life in breast cancer survivors. Breast Cancer Management. 2015;4(3):145-157. Abstract
- Read R, Flitcroft K, Snook K, Boyle F, Spillane A. The utility of neoadjuvant chemotherapy in the treatment of operable breast cancer. ANZ Journal of Surgery. 2015;85(5):315-20. Abstract
- Read RL, Pasquali S, Haydu L, Thompson JF, Stretch JR, Saw RPM, Quinn MJ, Shannon K, Spillane AJ. Quality assurance in melanoma surgery: the evolving experience at a large tertiary referral centre. European Journal of Surgical Oncology (EJSO) Published online. Abstract
- Read RL, Haydu L, Saw RP, Quinn MJ, Shannon K, Spillane AJ, Stretch JR, Scolyer RA, Thompson JF. In-transit Melanoma Metastases: Incidence, Prognosis, and the Role of Lymphadenectomy. Ann Surg Oncol 2015;22(2):475-81. Abstract
- Huismans AM, Haydu LE, Shannon KF, Quinn MJ, Saw RP, Spillane AJ, Stretch JR, Thompson JF. Primary Melanoma Location on the Scalp is an Important Risk Factor for Brain Metastasis: A Study of 1,687 Patients with Cutaneous Head and Neck Melanomas. Annals of Surgical Oncology 21 (12), 3985-399 Abstract
- Lamboo LGE, Haydu LE, Scolyer RA, Quinn MJ, Saw RPM, Shannon KF, Spillane AJ, Stretch JR, Bonenkamp JJ, Thompson JF. The Optimum Excision Margin and Regional Node Management for Primary Cutaneous T3 Melanomas (2–4 mm in Thickness): A Retrospective Study of 1587 Patients Treated at a Single Centre. Annals of surgery 260 (6), 1095-1102. Abstract
- Saw RP, Armstrong BK, Mason RS, Morton RL, Shannon KF, Spillane AJ, Stretch JR, Thompson JF. Adjuvant therapy with high dose vitamin D following primary treatment of melanoma at high risk of recurrence: a placebo controlled randomised phase II trial (ANZMTG 02.09 Mel-D). BMC Cancer 2014 Oct 24;14:780. Free full text pdf
- Snook KL, Spillane AJ. Intraoperative molecular sentinel node analysis: the way of the future or great technology with limited indication? ANZ Journal of Surgery;84(10):699-700. Journal
- Pasquali S, Spillane A. Contemporary controversies and perspectives in the staging and treatment of patients with lymph node metastasis from melanoma, especially with regards positive sentinel lymph node biopsy. Cancer Treat Rev. 2014;40(8):893-9. Abstract
- Spillane AJ, Pasquali S, Haydu LE, Thompson JF. Patterns of recurrence and survival after lymphadenectomy in melanoma patients: clarifying the effects of timing of surgery and lymph node tumor burden. Annals of Surgical Oncology 21(1):292-299. Abstract
- Brennan ME, Butow P, Spillane AJ, Boyle FM. Survivorship care plans in breast cancer: systematic review. Br J Cancer 2014;111(10):1899-908. Abstract
- Brennan ME, Spillane A, Flitcroft K, Snook K, Wong A. Platinum multidisciplinary breast cancer care or platinum breast reconstruction? ANZJS 2014;84(9):604-605. Journal
- Spillane A. Book Review: Management of Soft Tissue Sarcoma by Murray F Brennan, Cristina R Antonescu and Robert G Maki. ANZJSurg 2014;84 (7-8):586-586. Journal
- van der Ploeg AP, Haydu LE, Spillane AJ, Scolyer RA, Quinn MJ, Saw RP, Shannon KF, Stretch JR, Thompson JF. Melanoma Patients with an Unknown Primary Tumor Site Have a Better Outcome than Those with a Known Primary Following Therapeutic Lymph Node Dissection for Macroscopic (Clinically Palpable) Nodal Disease. Ann Surg Oncol. 2014 Sep;21(9):3108-16. Abstract
- Spillane AJ, Pasquali S, Haydu LE, Thompson JF. Patterns of recurrence and survival after lymphadenectomy in melanoma patients: clarifying the effects of timing of surgery and lymph node tumor burden. Ann Surg Oncol. 2014 Jan;21(1):292-9. Abstract
- Wong A, Snook K, Brennan M, Flitcroft K, Tucker M, Hiercz D, Spillane A. Increasing breast reconstruction rates by offering more women a choice. ANZ Journal of Surgery 2014; 84: 31–36. Abstract
- Chong C, Walters D, de Silva P, Taylor C, Spillane A, Kollias J, Pyke C, Campbell I, Maddern G.Initial axillary surgery: results from the BreastSurgANZ Quality Audit. ANZ J Surg. 2013 Nov 20. doi: 10.1111/ans.12455. [Epub ahead of print] Abstract
- Wong A, Spillane A; Breast Surgeons of Australia and New Zealand Incorporated (BreastSurgANZ). Patent Blue V dye anaphylaxis: experience of Australian and New Zealand surgeons. ANZ J Surg. 2014 Jan-Feb;84(1-2):37-41. Abstract
- Flitcroft KL, Spillane AJ, Read RL. Lack of appropriate imaging before breast augmentation can have serious patient consequences. Med J Aust. 2014 Mar 3;200(4):198-9. Journal
- van der Ploeg APT, Haydu LE, Spillane AJ, Quinn MJ, Saw RPM, Shannon KF, Stretch JR, Scolyer RA, Thompson JF. Outcome following sentinel node biopsy plus wide local excision versus wide local excision only for primary cutaneous melanoma: analysis of 5840 patients treated at a single institution. Ann Surg. 2014;260(1):149-57. Abstract
- Noushi F, Spillane AJ, Uren RF, Cooper R, Allwright S, Snook KL, Gillet D, Pearce AM, Gebski V. High discordance rates between sub-areolar and peri-tumoural breast lymphoscintigraphy. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2013 Oct;39(10):1053-60. Abstract
- Brennan ME, Spillane AJ. Uptake and predictors of post-mastectomy reconstruction in women with breast malignancy–systematic review. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2013 Jun;39(6):527-41. Abstract
- Spillane A, Brennan M. Comparison of the sentinel node procedure between patients with multifocal and unifocal breast cancer in the EORTC 10981-22023 AMAROS Trial: Identification rate and nodal outcome. Breast diseases (1043-321X), 24 (4), p. 366. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly, Vol 24 issue 4, 2013 p366-368. Journal
- Chong C, Walters D, de Silva P, Taylor C, Spillane A, Kollias J, Pyke C, Campbell I, Maddern G. Subsequent axillary surgery after sentinel lymph node biopsy: results from the BreastSurgANZ Quality Audit 2006-2010. Breast. 2013 Dec;22(6):1215-9. Abstract
- Spillane A. Training breast surgeons in Australia and New Zealand. ANZ J Surg. 2013 Sep;83(9):597-8. [No Abstract]Journal
- Spillane A. Why the results of the American College of Surgeons Oncology Group Z0011 Trial are so important. ANZ J Surg. 2013 Dec;83(12):893 [No abstract available]Journal
- Pasquali S, Haydu LE, Scolyer RA, Winstanley JB, Spillane AJ, Quinn MJ, Saw RP, Shannon KF, Stretch JR, Thompson JF. The importance of adequate primary tumor excision margins and sentinel node biopsy in achieving optimal locoregional control for patients with thick primary melanomas. Ann Surg. 2013 Jul;258(1):152-7. Abstract
- Soon PS, Kim E, Pon CK, Gill AJ, Moore K, Spillane AJ, Benn DE, Baxter RC. Breast cancer-associated fibroblasts induce epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in breast cancer cells. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2013 Jan 7;20(1):1-12. Abstract
- Noushi F, Spillane AJ, Uren RF. In regard to Hindie et al. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012 Oct 1;84(2):302. No abstract available.Journal
- Watts KJ, Meiser B, Mitchell G, Kirk J, Saunders C, Peate M, Duffy J, Kelly PJ, Gleeson M, Barlow-Stewart K, Rahman B, Friedlander M, Tucker K; TFGT Collaborative Group. How should we discuss genetic testing with women newly diagnosed with breast cancer? Design and implementation of a randomized controlled trial of two models of delivering education about treatment-focused genetic testing to younger women newly diagnosed with breast cancer. BMC Cancer. 2012 Jul 28;12:320. Free full text pdf
- Uren RF, Howman-Giles R, Chung DK, Spillane AJ, Noushi F, Gillett D, Gluch L, Mak C, West R, Briody J, Carmalt H. SPECT/CT scans allow precise anatomical location of sentinel lymph nodes in breast cancer and redefine lymphatic drainage from the breast to the axilla. Breast. 2012 Aug;21(4):480-6. Abstract
- Spillane AJ, Thompson JF. Sentinel node biopsy for breast cancer: then and now. ANZ J Surg. 2012 Jul-Aug;82(7-8):481-3. No Abstract. Journal
- Jang HS, Spillane A, Boyle F, Fogarty G. Radiotherapy can cause haemostasis in bleeding skin malignancies. Case Rep Med. 2012;2012:168681.
- Spillane AJ, Haydu LE, Lee NC, Uren RF, Stretch JR, Shannon KF, Quinn MJ, Saw RP, McCarthy WH, Thompson JF.Evaluation of incomplete sentinel node biopsy procedures and sentinel node positivity rates as surgical quality-assurance parameters in melanoma patients. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Nov;19(12):3919-25. Abstract
- Murali R, Haydu LE, Quinn MJ, Saw RP, Shannon K, Spillane AJ, Stretch JR, Thompson JF, Scolyer RA. Sentinel lymph node biopsy in patients with thin primary cutaneous melanoma. Ann Surg. 2012 Jan;255(1):128-33 Abstract
- Murali R, Haydu LE, Long GV, Quinn MJ, Saw RP, Shannon K, Spillane AJ, Stretch JR, Kefford RF, Thompson JF, Scolyer RA. Clinical and pathologic factors associated with distant metastasis and survival in patients with thin primary cutaneous melanoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Jun;19(6):1782-9. Abstract
- Pasquali S, Spillane AJ, de Wilt JH, McCaffery K, Rossi CR, Quinn MJ, Saw RP, Shannon KF, Stretch JR, Thompson JF. Surgeons’ opinions on lymphadenectomy in melanoma patients with positive sentinel nodes: a worldwide web-based survey. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Dec;19(13):4322-9. Abstract
- Martin RC, Shannon KF, Quinn MJ, Saw RP, Spillane AJ, Stretch JR, Colman MH, Gao K, Thompson JF.The management of cervical lymph nodes in patients with cutaneous melanoma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Nov;19(12):3926-32. Abstract
- Lee NC, Spillane AJ, Pang TC, Haydu LE, Uren RF. Incomplete sentinel node biopsy is not clearly related to survival or regional recurrence in cutaneous melanoma patients. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Jan;19(1):280-6. Abstract
- Lee NC, Spillane AJ. Underpowered conclusions can be potentially misleading with regards to the ratio of number of lymphoscintigraphy identified and surgically excised sentinel nodes in melanoma patients. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2011 May;37(5):454-5. [No abstract]Journal
- Spillane AJ, Cheung BL, Winstanley J, Thompson JF. Lymph node ratio provides prognostic information in addition to american joint committee on cancer N stage in patients with melanoma, even if quality of surgery is standardized. Ann Surg. 2011 Jan;253(1):109-15. Abstract
- Spillane AJ, Tucker M, Pasquali S.A pilot study reporting outcomes for melanoma patients of a minimal access ilio-inguinal dissection technique based on two incisions. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011 Apr;18(4):970-6. Abstract
- Spillane AJ, Haydu L, McMillan W, Stretch JR, Thompson JF. Quality assurance parameters and predictors of outcome for ilioinguinal and inguinal dissection in a contemporary melanoma patient population. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011 Sep;18(9):2521-8 Abstract
- Noushi F, Spillane AJ, Uren RF, Gebski V. Internal mammary lymph node metastasis in breast cancer: predictive models to assist with prognostic influence. Breast. 2011 Jun;20(3):278-83. Abstract
- Brennan M, Butow P, Spillane AJ, Marven M, Boyle FM. Follow up after breast cancer — views of Australian women. Aust Fam Physician. 2011 May;40(5):311-6.
- Spillane AJ, Brennan ME. Accuracy of sentinel lymph node biopsy in large and multifocal/multicentric breast carcinoma–a systematic review. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2011. Abstract
- Brennan ME, Butow P, Marven M, Spillane AJ, Boyle FM. Survivorship care after breast cancer treatment–experiences and preferences of Australian women. Breast. 2011 Jun;20(3):271-7. Abstract
- Zardawi S, Zardawi I, McNeil C, Millar E, McLeod D, Morey A, Crea P, Murphy N, Pinese M, Lopez-Knowles E, Oakes S, Ormandy C, Qiu M, Hamilton A, Spillane A, Soon Lee C, Sutherland R, Musgrove E, O’Toole S. High Notch1 protein expression is an early event in breast cancer development and is associated with the HER-2 molecular subtype. Histopathology 2010 Feb;56(3):286-96. Abstract
- Crosbie J, Kilbreath SL, Dylke E, Refshauge KM, Nicholson LL, Beith JM, Spillane AJ, White K. Effects of mastectomy on shoulder and spinal kinematics during bilateral upper limb movement. Phys Ther. 2010 May;90(5):679-92.
- Noushi F, Spillane AJ, Uren R, Gebski V. Internal mammary node metastasis in breast cancer: predictive models to determine status & management algorithms. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2010 Jan;36(1):16-22. Abstract
- Brennan ME, Butow P, Spillane AJ, Boyle FM. Survivorship care after breast cancer: follow-up practices of Australian health professionals and attitudes to a survivorship care plan. Asia Pac J Clin Oncol. 2010 Jun;6(2):116-25. Abstract
- Karim RZ, Gerega SK, Yang YH, Spillane A, Carmalt H, Scolyer RA, Lee CS. p16 and pRb immunohistochemical expression increases with increasing tumour grade in mammary phyllodes tumours. Histopathology. 2010 Jun;56(7):868-75. Abstract
- Spillane AJ, Cheung BL, Stretch JR, Scolyer RA, Shannon KF, Quinn MJ, Saw RP, McCarthy WH, Thompson JF. Proposed quality standards for regional lymph node dissections in patients with melanoma. Ann Surg. 2009 Mar;249(3):473-80. Abstract
- Spillane AJ, Noushi F, Cooper RA, V. Gebski V, Uren RF. High-resolution lymphoscintigraphy is essential for recognition of the significance of internal mammary nodes in breast cancer. Annals of Oncology 2009;20:977-984.
- Spillane AJ, Winstanley J, Thompson JF. Lymph node ratio in melanoma: a marker of variation in surgical quality? Cancer. 2009 Jun 1;115(11):2384-7.
- Karim RZ, Gerega SK, Yang YH, Spillane A, Carmalt H, Scolyer RA, Lee CS. Phyllodes tumours of the breast: a clinicopathological analysis of 65 cases from a single institution. Breast. 2009;18:165-170. Abstract
- Karim RZ, Gerega SK, Yang YH, Spillane A, Carmalt H, Scolyer RA, Lee CS. Proteins from the Wnt pathway are involved in the pathogenesis and progression of mammary phyllodes tumours. J Clin Pathol 2009; 62(11):1016-20. Abstract
- Spillane AJ, Brennan ME. Australia’s national breast screening program 18 years on: time for a new direction? ANZ J Surg. 2009 Oct;79(10):674-6. [No Abstract available]Journal
- Brennan M, Spillane A, Houssami N. The role of breast MRI in clinical practice. Aust Fam Physician. 2009 Jul;38(7):513-9.
- Spillane AJ, Brennan ME. Minimal access breast surgery – A single breast incision for breast conservation surgery and sentinel lymph node biopsy. 2009;Eur J Surg Oncol 35(4):380-386. Abstract
- Harrison JD, Choy ET, Spillane A, Butow P, Young JM, Evans A. Australian breast cancer specialists’ involvement in multidisciplinary treatment planning meetings. Breast 2008;17(4):335-40. Abstract
- Shin J-S, Spillane A, Wills E, Cooper WA. PEComa of the retroperitoneum. Pathology 2008;40;93-95. Abstract
- Spillane AJ, Saw RP, Tucker M, Byth K, Thompson JF. Defining lower limb lymphedema after inguinal or ilio-inguinal dissection in patients with melanoma using classification and regression tree analysis. Ann Surg 2008;248(2):286-93. Abstract
- Moncrieff MD, Bowen F, Thompson JF, Saw RP, Shannon KF, Spillane AJ, et al. Keystone Flap Reconstruction of Primary Melanoma Excision Defects of the Leg-The End of the Skin Graft? Ann Surg Oncol 2008. Abstract
- Spillane AJ, Brennan ME. Minimal access breast surgery – A single breast incision for breast conservation surgery and sentinel lymph node biopsy. The Breast 2008;17:206. Conference abstract
- Brennan M, Butow P, Spillane A, Boyle F. Survivorship care after breast cancer. Aust Fam Physician 2008; 37: 826-830.
- Choy E, Chiu A, Butow P, Young J, Spillane A. A pilot study to evaluate the impact of involving breast cancer patients in the multidisciplinary discussion of their disease and treatment plan. Breast 2007;16(2):178-89. Abstract
- Brennan M, Spillane AJ. The breast physician: an example of specialisation in general practice. Med J Aust. 2007 Jul 16;187(2):111-4.
- Brennan M, Spillane AJ. The evolving role of the breast physician in the multidisciplinary breast team. ANZ J Surg 2007; 77 (10), 846–849. Abstract
- Butow P, Harrison JD, Choy ET, Young JM, Spillane A, Evans A. Health professional and consumer views on involving breast cancer patients in the multidisciplinary discussion of their disease and treatment plan. Cancer 2007;110(9):1937-44.
- Sanki A, Spillane AJ. Diagnostic and treatment challenges of inframammary crease breast carcinomas. ANZ J Surg 2006;76;4:230-233. Abstract
- Soni NK, Spillane AJ. Experience of Sentinel Node Biopsy alone in Early Breast Cancer ANZ J Surg 2005; 75(5):292-9. Abstract
- Soni NK, Spillane AJ. Evaluation of a breast cancer nomogram for prediction of non-sentinel lymph node positivity. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2005;31;9:958-964. Abstract
- Nordman IC, Spillane AJ, Hamilton AL. The aromatase inhibitors in early breast cancer: who, when and why? Medical Journal of Australia 2005;183;1:24-28.
- Hong, J, Choy, E, Soni, N, Carmalt, H, Gillett, D, Spillane, A. Extra-axillary Sentinel Node Biopsy in the Management of Early Breast Cancer. Eur J Surg Oncol 2005;31;9:942-948. Abstract