Breast reconstruction after mastectomy for breast cancer
- Brennan ME, Flitcroft K, Warrier S, Snook K, Spillane AJ. Immediate expander/implant breast reconstruction followed by post-mastectomy radiotherapy for breast cancer: Aesthetic, surgical, satisfaction and quality of life outcomes in women with high-risk breast cancer. The Breast 2016;30:59–65. Abstract
- Wong A, Snook K, Brennan M, Flitcroft K, Tucker M, Hiercz D, Spillane A. Increasing breast reconstruction rates by offering more women a choice. ANZ Journal of Surgery 2014; 84: 31–36. Abstract News article on our website
- Brennan ME, Spillane AJ. Uptake and predictors of post-mastectomy reconstruction in women with breast malignancy–systematic review. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2013 Jun;39(6):527-41. Abstract
Survivorship care after treatment for breast cancer
- Brennan ME, Boyle FM, Butow PN, Spillane AJ. Evaluation of a survivorship care plan: Long-term use, care coordination and quality of life in breast cancer survivors. Breast Cancer Management. 2015;4(3):145-157. Abstract
- Brennan M, Butow P, Spillane AJ, Marven M, Boyle FM. Follow up after breast cancer -views of Australian women. Aust Fam Physician. 2011 May;40(5):311-6.
- Brennan ME, Butow P, Marven M, Spillane AJ, Boyle FM. Survivorship care after breast cancer treatment–experiences and preferences of Australian women. Breast. 2011 Jun;20(3):271-7. Abstract
- Brennan ME, Houssami N. Overview of long term care of breast cancer survivors. Maturitas. 2011;69:106–112. Abstract
- Brennan ME, Butow P, Spillane AJ, Boyle FM. Survivorship care after breast cancer: follow-up practices of Australian health professionals and attitudes to a survivorship care plan. Asia Pac J Clin Oncol. 2010 Jun;6(2):116-25. Abstract
- Brennan M, Butow P, Spillane A, Boyle F. Survivorship care after breast cancer. Aust Fam Physician 2008; 37: 826-830.
Setting standards for melanoma surgery
- Pasquali S, Haydu LE, Scolyer RA, Winstanley JB, Spillane AJ, Quinn MJ, Saw RP, Shannon KF, Stretch JR, Thompson JF. The importance of adequate primary tumor excision margins and sentinel node biopsy in achieving optimal locoregional control for patients with thick primary melanomas. Ann Surg. 2013 Jul;258(1):152-7. Abstract
- Spillane AJ, Haydu LE, Lee NC, Uren RF, Stretch JR, Shannon KF, Quinn MJ, Saw RP, McCarthy WH, Thompson JF.Evaluation of incomplete sentinel node biopsy procedures and sentinel node positivity rates as surgical quality-assurance parameters in melanoma patients. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Nov;19(12):3919-25. Abstract
- Spillane AJ, Haydu L, McMillan W, Stretch JR, Thompson JF. Quality assurance parameters and predictors of outcome for ilioinguinal and inguinal dissection in a contemporary melanoma patient population. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011 Sep;18(9):2521-8 Abstract
- Spillane AJ, Cheung BL, Stretch JR, Scolyer RA, Shannon KF, Quinn MJ, Saw RP, McCarthy WH, Thompson JF. Proposed quality standards for regional lymph node dissections in patients with melanoma. Ann Surg. 2009 Mar;249(3):473-80. Abstract
- Spillane AJ, Winstanley J, Thompson JF. Lymph node ratio in melanoma: a marker of variation in surgical quality? Cancer. 2009 Jun 1;115(11):2384-7.
New surgical techniques for breast cancer and melanoma treatment
- Spillane AJ, Brennan ME. Minimal access breast surgery – A single breast incision for breast conservation surgery and sentinel lymph node biopsy. 2009;Eur J Surg Oncol 35(4):380-386. Abstract
- Spillane AJ, Tucker M, Pasquali S.A pilot study reporting outcomes for melanoma patients of a minimal access ilio-inguinal dissection technique based on two incisions. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011 Apr;18(4):970-6. Abstract
- Brennan M, Houssami N. Thermography in breast cancer diagnosis, screening, and risk assessment: Systematic review. Breast Cancer Management 2013; 2(2):163-172. Abstract
Internal mammary sentinel lymph node biopsy for breast cancer
- Noushi F, Spillane AJ, Uren RF. In regard to Hindie et al. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012 Oct 1;84(2):302. No abstract available. Journal
- Uren RF, Howman-Giles R, Chung DK, Spillane AJ, Noushi F, Gillett D, Gluch L, Mak C, West R, Briody J, Carmalt H. SPECT/CT scans allow precise anatomical location of sentinel lymph nodes in breast cancer and redefine lymphatic drainage from the breast to the axilla. Breast. 2012 Aug;21(4):480-6. Abstract
- Noushi F, Spillane AJ, Uren RF, Gebski V. Internal mammary lymph node metastasis in breast cancer: predictive models to assist with prognostic influence. Breast. 2011 Jun;20(3):278-83. Abstract
- Noushi F, Spillane AJ, Uren R, Gebski V. Internal mammary node metastasis in breast cancer: predictive models to determine status & management algorithms. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2010 Jan;36(1):16-22. Abstract
- Spillane AJ, Noushi F, Cooper RA, V. Gebski V, Uren RF. High-resolution lymphoscintigraphy is essential for recognition of the significance of internal mammary nodes in breast cancer. Annals of Oncology 2009;20:977-984.